Six month tour in Afghanistan ends
8 October 2010
Media are invited to attend the return of the sixteenth rotation of the New Zealand Provincial Reconstruction Team, who have completed a six month deployment in Afghanistan.
71 New Zealand Defence Force personnel will arrive at Christchurch International Airport at 3.20pm on Monday 11 October 2010. They will be met by Commander Joint Forces New Zealand Air Vice Marshal Peter Stockwell, family and friends.
The rest of the personnel in the 105-strong rotation will return later this month.
When: 3.20pm, Monday 11 October 2010
Where: Christchurch International Airport
What: Arrival of 71 NZDF personnel from a six month deployment in Afghanistan.
Media wishing to attend the arrival must register with Nicole Munro, 021 569 148, before noon on Monday 11 October 2010.
New Zealand’s contribution to Afghanistan is as follows:
- 131 personnel in the NZ Provincial Reconstruction Team in Bamyan Province.
- Two non-commissioned officers assisting with training of Afghan National Army troops.
- Ten personnel make up the National Support Element at Bagram.
- Five officers in International Security Assistance Force headquarters positions.
- One military liaison officer with the United Nations Assistance Mission (UNAMA).
- Eight personnel in HQ positions with the Australian Defence Force in Oruzgan.
- SAS personnel in Kabul.
For further information please contact Nicole Munro, Defence Communications Group, on 021 569 148.
Return to the Media Release Summary