No. 6 Squadron
No. 6 Squadron is one of the force elements under the command of the Air Component Commander HQ JFNZ (ACC) and remains under full command of the Chief of the Air Force.
Operational command (OPCOM) when ships' flights are required to embark, is assigned by ACC to the Maritime Component Commander (MCC), who will in turn assign operational control (OPCON) to the ship's CO. The squadron is located at RNZAF Base Auckland.
The squadron operates a fleet of eight Kaman SH-2G(I) Seasprite helicopters.
To meet NZDF Naval Helicopter Force requirements, the Squadron provides:
- operational tasks and training for the RNZN
- surface warfare missions and surveillance operations
- underwater warfare
- helicopter delivery services/logistics
- day and night search and rescue
- medical evacuation
- helicopter operational conversion (Seasprite) training for pilots, observers and helicopter loadmasters
- assistance to other government agencies.
The helicopters are able to be embarked on the two ANZAC Class Frigates, HMNZS TE MANA and TE KAHA, as well as the offshore patrol vessels HMNZS OTAGO and WELLINGTON, and the multi-role ship HMNZS CANTERBURY with aircrew from the RNZN and maintainers from the RNZAF.
The Squadron is currently annually allocated approximately 1000 flying hours to achieve the stated tasks.
|For more information contact:
||The Commanding Officer
No 6 Squadron
RNZAF Base Auckland