No 6 Squadron History
Chief of Air Force (CAF) and Chief of Navy (CN) have identified and agreed to change the command structure for naval aviation and redesignate the Naval Support Flight as an independent RNZAF squadron on 31 October 2005.
The RNZAF's new squadron is to be known as No. 6 Squadron.No. 6 Squadron was formed initially at Milson in February 1942 as an Army co-operation squadron.It was disbanded in October 1942, but reformed in Fijiin May 1943 as No. 6 Squadron, operating Catalina aircraft.At the conclusion of hostilities, the squadron was again disbanded, but was reformed in April 1952 at Hobsonville as No. 6 (Maritime) Squadron operating Catalinas, then Sunderlands from 1955.It was again disbanded in August 1957.Re-establishing No. 6 Squadron with the role of providing helicopter support to the RNZN will re-establish the maritime aviation heritage of the unit.The unit is authorised to use the No. 6 Squadron badge approved in 1954 and the motto "Vigilance with Patience".