Royal New Zealand Air Force Band
The Royal New Zealand Air Force Band was formed in 1935 and made its public debut on 12 May 1937, leading a procession through Wellington marking the coronation of King George VI. It functioned as a full-time unit during WWII but was disbanded after the war. In 1951 the band was reformed as a territorial unit.
With its considerable membership and instrumentation, the RNZAF Band is the largest and only full symphonic band in the country. The Band is based in Wellington and takes part in State and ceremonial events providing music for openings of Parliament, Guards of Honour, royal visits and official functions. The Band parades and performs concerts for community and charity events around the country. Many of these concerts are recorded and CDs are available for sale to the public, and for ceremonial use.
Each base also has a band made up of volunteer musicians, often supplemented by a small number of regular force volunteers. The Bands undertake a wide range of activities including parades, ceremonial events, public and school concerts, Military Tattoos and sporting events.